One dies as fire engulfs residential building in Delta Community

By Kelvin Ohoror

It was a gory scene in Omene Road, Sapele, Delta State, as fire engulfed a residential building killing a man in his early 40s.

Omene Road, Sapele was besieged by onlookers and sympathizers as the burnt body of a young man in his early 40s was carried out of the burnt building, wrapped with a mat.

An eyewitness name withheld who gave an account of the incident said that late in the night, they heard the cry of help from someone in the building and identified the voice to be that of Daniel a.k.a Malaysia but thought he was drunk as usual but when the cry continued, they had to rush to the scene only to meet a helpless situation as the fire had completely encircled Mr Daniel.

Another eye witness that gave his name as Sammy, who said he lives nearby, said he heard the cry of Daniel for help but before they could get to his aid, the fire had completely engulfed the building.

Read Also: Every Taraban freedom of association must be protected, APC tells Ishaku

The cause of the fire was identified as a candle that was lit when power went off at night.

Sammy said the state fire service was called to help put off the fire but their vehicle got sunk close to the building and their hoax could not get near enough to do anything meaningful, saying that the location of the house was swampy.

The fire service personnel on ground declined to make any comment.

As of the time of filing this report, the deceased had been taken out of the building by neighbours, awaiting the arrival of the police even as relatives of Daniel were anxious to take the body for burial immediately.

Neighbours described Mr Daniel as an easy going guy with a wife and kid but very peaceful

Click on The Trumpet and follow us on our Twitter page for more:

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button