The Ondo State government has ordered the temporary closure of selected public schools across the state to allow the conduct of the All Progressives Congress (APC) state House of Assembly primaries scheduled for Wednesday.
The move is expected to keep hundreds of students out of classrooms as some school premises are set to serve as polling and collation centres for the party’s electoral exercise.
Key Highlights:
- Ondo State closed selected public schools for the All Progressives Congress House of Assembly primaries.
- Some schools across 18 local government areas will serve as polling and collation centres.
- Students, teachers, and staff in affected schools were directed to stay home on election day.
- The government said arrangements were made to ensure West African Senior School Certificate Examination candidates continue their exams without disruption.
- Schools are expected to reopen and resume normal activities on May 21, 2026.
The Ondo State Ministry of Education, Science and Technology confirmed that affected primary and secondary schools across the state’s 18 local government areas would remain shut for the duration of the primaries.
According to the ministry, the decision was taken to ensure security, orderly movement, and smooth coordination within school premises expected to host party delegates, electoral officials, and security personnel during the exercise.
In a statement issued by the ministry, all learners, teachers, and non-academic staff in the affected schools were directed to stay away from school on the election day.
“All learners, teachers, and other staff in the affected schools are hereby directed to stay at home on the election day,” the statement read.
The ministry explained that the temporary closure formed part of measures aimed at guaranteeing “the peaceful, orderly, and secure conduct of the electoral process” in schools selected for the APC primaries.
It added that heads of the affected schools would be contacted directly to ensure full compliance with the directive, while officials from zonal and area education offices had been mobilised to monitor implementation across the affected local government areas.
The closure is expected to disrupt academic activities for one day, as the affected schools would accommodate party officials, delegates, electoral personnel, and security operatives participating in the primaries.
Despite concerns over the development, the government assured parents and guardians that candidates currently sitting for the ongoing West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WAEC-SSCE) would not be affected.
Read also:
- Gunfire disrupts APC senatorial primary in Ondo
- Pro-Tinubu coalition in Ondo reaffirms backing for Tinubu’s 2027 bid
- 2027 Election: Tinubu will lose if Atiku forms joint ticket with Obi or Amaechi, says Dele Momodu
According to the ministry, adequate arrangements had already been put in place to ensure the uninterrupted conduct of examinations in affected schools, especially for students residing in boarding facilities.
The government stated that the measures were designed to protect examination candidates and maintain a conducive environment despite the political activities expected within some school premises.
Normal academic activities, according to the ministry, are expected to resume in all affected schools on Thursday, May 21, 2026, immediately after the conclusion of the primaries.
The development comes amid growing tensions surrounding the conduct of APC primaries in several states, with some aspirants alleging imposition of candidates, lack of transparency, and bias in the party’s internal electoral process.



