The Oyo State government has ordered an immediate suspension of all school excursions, field trips, sporting activities, and other external engagements involving students across the state following rising security concerns.
The directive comes in the wake of a recent coordinated attack in Oriire Local Government Area, where several students and teachers were abducted and are yet to be released.
In a circular dated May 22, 2026, signed by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education, B.T. Oyinloye, the government said the decision was taken to safeguard the lives of students and school personnel.
Read also:
- Nollywood star calls for urgent action on insecurity, says Nigerians are tired of condolence messages
- Gani Adams blasts South-West governors over rising insecurity
- Oyo community in grief as bandits behead abducted teacher,
The circular immediately cancels all previously approved excursions and external school activities until further notice.
It also directed school administrators to ensure strict confinement of students within school premises during school hours and to report any suspicious movement around schools to relevant security agencies.
The government stressed that protecting students remains its top priority, especially amid growing public anxiety following the recent school attack in Ogbomoso and surrounding communities.
The directive has been circulated to all education stakeholders, including principals, head teachers, TESCOM, SUBEB officials, tutor-generals, and zonal directors for strict compliance across the state.



