The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has urged the South-East to overwhelmingly support President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in the 2027 general elections, warning that failure to do so could jeopardise the continuation of major federal infrastructure projects across the region.
Umahi made the remarks on Thursday during an inspection tour of ongoing federal road and bridge projects in Ebonyi State, where he led journalists around strategic highway corridors, flyovers, and bridge construction sites being executed under the Tinubu administration.
Key Highlights:
- David Umahi urged the South-East to support Bola Ahmed Tinubu in 2027 to sustain federal projects in the region.
- He highlighted major road, bridge, and flyover projects being executed under the current administration.
- Umahi said the Tinubu government had invested heavily in South-East infrastructure with substantial project funding.
- He defended government borrowing as necessary for long-lasting infrastructure development.
- The minister said the South-East had gained stronger political relevance under the Tinubu administration.
The minister described the projects as unprecedented in the history of the South-East, insisting that no previous administration had invested so heavily in the region’s infrastructure.
Among the projects inspected was the ongoing Calabar–Ebonyi–Benue–Nasarawa–Abuja Superhighway, which Umahi identified as one of the administration’s legacy projects.
According to him, the stretch from Ndibe Beach in Ebonyi State to the Ebonyi–Benue boundary covers about 123 kilometres and is being constructed with reinforced concrete pavement and solar-powered streetlights at an estimated cost of N454 billion.
He disclosed that the Federal Government had already released 50 per cent funding for the project, while approvals were being processed for the dualisation of critical sections of the route.
“This project is part of the 465-kilometre Calabar to Abuja corridor. What we procured initially was a single carriageway of 12 metres, but because of the strategic importance of the route, we are now procuring the second carriageway,” Umahi said.
The minister further explained that section two of the corridor, stretching about 178 kilometres from the Ebonyi–Benue boundary through Benue, Kogi, and Nasarawa states to Oweto Bridge, carries a contract value of N685 billion.
He commended construction firm InfoWest for deploying heavy equipment and simultaneously working on multiple sections of the project.
Umahi also inspected the ongoing flyover project at Onueke, being handled by Age-Link, expressing confidence that the contractor would complete the foundation works before the end of May and deliver the project before December.
“At timber shed, we are cutting through hills and dangerous valleys that have claimed many lives over the years. We are dualising the roads to 25 metres width, and this is what President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is known for; doing the impossible,” he stated.
The minister further visited the Ndibe Bridge project, which he said consists of 19 spans of about 30 metres each and would eventually connect the South-East to the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway.
He noted that specialised cranes and beam-launching technology were being deployed due to the difficult terrain and water currents in the area.
While acknowledging funding challenges facing contractors, Umahi maintained that the Federal Government remained committed to meeting its obligations.
“The President has assured us that all contractors owed will be paid. Today, there is hardly any state in Nigeria without a construction site under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” he said.
In a strongly worded political appeal, Umahi said communities benefitting from federal projects should reciprocate by supporting Tinubu in the next election.
Read also:
- I didn’t initiate Anioma State – Ned Nwoko
- Ebonyi lawmaker tasks youths on wealth creation
- Forum demands creation of homogeneous Ijaw states
“Last time, Afikpo people did not vote for APC. If they want this bridge completed, I will require 100 per cent of the votes. I am not asking for 99 per cent,” he declared.
According to him, projects of such magnitude could only be executed through federal intervention.
“Only President Bola Ahmed Tinubu can build these roads and bridges. Past politicians used this bridge as campaign promises, but this President came and started the work without making noise about it,” he added.
Umahi argued that the South-East had regained relevance in national politics under the current administration, citing his appointment as Minister of Works and the scale of projects spread across the region.
“We shouted marginalisation before, but today no ministry is bigger than the Ministry of Works, and it is being headed by an Igbo man. The President has integrated the South-East into the mainstream of Nigerian politics,” he said.
The minister urged political leaders in the region to publicly support the President and sensitise residents about the administration’s achievements.
“I challenge all leaders supporting the President to speak out openly. Our people need to hear the truth about what this administration is doing in the South-East,” he stated.
Umahi also defended the Federal Government’s borrowing policy, saying loans were necessary to finance durable infrastructure.
“The total value of ongoing legacy and heritage projects under this administration is about N34 trillion. When people ask why we are borrowing, tell them it is because of projects like these,” he said.
He added that reinforced concrete technology being used on federal highways would eliminate the need for major reconstruction for up to 100 years.
The minister also inspected the 61-kilometre Amasiri–Uturu–Okigwe road project being executed under the Dangote Tax Credit Scheme at a cost of N193 billion.
According to him, the road had been abandoned for years due to erosion and failed sections before the current administration revived it.
“For the past three years, nobody could pass through this route. We had gullies of four to six metres deep inside the carriageway. Today, high-tech construction firms are back on site and work is progressing steadily,” he said.
Umahi projected that substantial portions of the project would be completed before the end of the year and appealed to South-East voters to avoid sentiment during the 2027 elections.
“This election is not lottery. Presidency is not won by sentiments but by strategic planning. We must support the President to complete these projects and secure greater opportunities for the South-East,” he said.
The former Ebonyi governor insisted that the Tinubu administration had shown commitment to infrastructure, security, education, healthcare, and youth empowerment.
“We will shock the nation in Ebonyi State because we will deliver 95 per cent of our votes to President Tinubu. The last election outcome was an accident of history and it will not repeat itself,” Umahi declared.



