Aggrieved Nigerian man Obinna, 41, shoots wife, kills mother-in-law, commits suicide in US


A 41-year-old Nigerian, Obinna Igbokwe, on Wednesday night in Texas, United States, shot his wife, Tangela Igbokwe, killed her mother and fled to North Texas with their three-month-old son, Mansa, before finally killing himself.

Igbokwe lived in Spring, Montgomery County of Dallas, Texas.

According to the U.S. police, Obinna Igbokwe and his wife argued over the custody of the couple’s three-month-old son Mansa.

The argument, according to the police, led to the shooting.

Igbokwe shot his wife and her mother point blank, in the head.

The wife, who survived the shooting is, however, said to be in critical condition in the hospital.

But her mother, Linda Larkins, who was also shot in the head was pronounced dead at the scene.

Read Also: French Open: Nadal reach final, eyes fourteenth title

Police authorities said the suspect’s 14-year-old son might have witnessed the shootings and went next door to get help.

Obinna Igbokwe reportedly took their son and fled in a 2008 white Honda Accord.

The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies thereafter raised an AMBER Alert, which was, however, discontinued after the suspect shot and killed himself.

The shooting happened in the 30120 block of Aldine Westfield Road around 7.30 p.m.

According to the Corsicana Police Department, Igbokwe dropped off the child in a car seat at a hotel and said he would be right back, but never returned.

Since he did not return, police said they were contacted and learned the man left in a white passenger car.

At about 1.05 a.m., Ennis Police Department officers said they located the white Honda Igbokwe was driving and attempted to stop the vehicle.

After a short pursuit, the Honda stopped in a parking lot, where officers observed and heard a single gunshot come from the interior of the Honda.

Law enforcement officers began life-saving measures and summoned medical personnel, but due to the severity of the injury, authorities said Igbokwe succumbed to his wounds at a Dallas hospital at about 5.20 a.m.

Authorities said Mansa is safe and unharmed and has been reunited with his family.

“Our hearts are with the family affected by this tragic and horrific crime and we are working with the victims to ensure they receive support and assistance,” a Facebook post from MCSO said.

This investigation is being completed across multiple jurisdictions and involves the Corsicana Police Department, Ennis Police Department, Ellis County Sheriff’s Office, and the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
A note to our visitors

This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.