Four kids electrocuted in Ondo
Friday Omosola, Akure
No fewer than four children have been confirmed to have been electrocuted to death in Oke-Aigo axis, Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
The Trumpet learnt that the ugly incident happened after a newly installed power cable fell on a container being used as a shop and killed four children who were playing inside the shop.
Two of the victims were said to be siblings who had visited their aunt for the Easter holiday in the community.
An eyewitness, who spoke with The Trumpet, revealed that six children were playing inside the shop and all of them were rushed to the hospital, four later gave up the ghost, the remaining two were taken to Trauma Centre in Ondo for treatment, one was discharged and the second child was referred to OAU Teaching Hospital for treatment.
The eyewitness added that insufficient oxygen for the five victims led to the death of the other four.
Speaking, the owner of the shop, Mrs Ronke Adebiyi, said she was not around when the ugly incident happened, saying she rushed down to the scene immediately when she received a call that her shop was burning.
Reacting, the senator representing Ondo South senatorial, Nicholas Tofowomo, affirmed that he would make sure the parents of the victims get justice if the Benin Electricity Distribution Company(BEDC) was found culpable of the tragedy.
Read Also: Edo flags off free medical services for over 4000 residents
Tofowomo urged the inhabitants of the community against building houses or shops under power supply lines, saying it is the duty of the government to make sure shops or buildings are not erected under power lines.
Confirming the incident, the Public Relations Officer Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, said the four kids were reportedly killed, having been electrocuted in Ile Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of the state, while they were playing inside a container.
She said an investigation has commenced into the matter.
More so, the Corporate Affairs Manager of the BEDC, Ondo State, Michael Barnabas, described the incident as deadly because the metal container shop was under the high tension electric cable.
While condoling with the victims’ families, he said life is very holy and should not end prematurely this way.