Defence & Security

Explain How Ex-SARS Official Dismissed for Armed Robbery, Kidnapping Got Back To Police Force Without Trial, Foundation Queries PSC


The Police Service Commission (PSC) has been asked to explain why and how a police officer attached to the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), who was dismissed from the Nigeria Police Force in 2018 over armed robbery, kidnapping and other crimes, has now been restored to the Force without trial.

This alarm was raised by human rights activist, Harrison Gwamnishu, who is the founder of Behind Bars Foundation, in a petition sighted by The Trumpet.

In the petition, Gwamnishu said the PSC must explain how the dismissed officer found his way back to the force.

The human rights activist did not, however, mentioned the name of the officer in question.

It will be recalled that in 2018, the Police announced the dismissal of four policemen attached to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Ikeja, Lagos State, over robbery and other crimes.

Then Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone 2 Command, AIG Adamu Ibrahim, was said to have approved the dismissal.

Read More: N26.6bn fraud: Court Remands ex-Bank PHB Director, Funmi Adenmosun in Prison

The officers dismissed then, were: Sgt. Adeoye Adekunle, Sgt. Adekitan Adebowale, Sgt. Agbi Lucky and Sgt. Odighe Hehosa. There is a likelihood that the re-absorbed officer is among the four.

The police at the time said the four policemen were dismissed and subsequently charged to court for armed robbery, kidnapping, unlawful detention and intimidation, as well as threatening violence.

The panel had recommended the four officers for dismissal based on the report of the investigation carried out on a petition against them by one Mr Chukwudi Godwin Odionye, popularly referred to as ‘Bishop’.

A statement from the Police at the time read, “The petitioner stated that on June 4, 2017, he was in his house around Alagbado area of the state when four armed men stormed his house to effect his arrest on the allegation of performing ‘fake’ miracles.

“He stated that after his arrest, he was taken to one hotel at Agege, where he was detained and threatened to be killed if he failed to co-operate.

“He explained further that the following day, June 5, 2017, he was taken to the bank where he was made to transfer N7million to the account of one of the operatives.”

At the time of filing this report, the PSC was yet to respond to the petition by the foundation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
A note to our visitors

This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.