Real Madrid head coach Alvaro Arbeloa has confirmed he will leave the Spanish giants at the end of the season, with veteran manager Jose Mourinho expected to take over the role.
Arbeloa made the announcement ahead of Real Madrid’s final La Liga match against Athletic Club on Saturday, bringing an end to his short spell in charge after being promoted from Real Madrid B earlier this year.
key Highlights:
- Alvaro Arbeloa confirmed he will leave Real Madrid C.F. at the end of the season.
- Jose Mourinho is expected to return as Real Madrid’s next head coach.
- Arbeloa’s brief spell in charge followed the departure of Xabi Alonso earlier in the season.
- Real Madrid endured a disappointing campaign, finishing behind FC Barcelona and exiting the Champions League early.
- Arbeloa ruled out joining Mourinho’s coaching staff but expressed hope of returning to Real Madrid in the future.
The former defender replaced ex-Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso in January but struggled to revive the club’s fortunes during a disappointing campaign.
Real Madrid are set to finish the season behind rivals FC Barcelona and will end the year without a major trophy after crashing out of the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals against FC Bayern Munich.
Speaking at a pre-match press conference, Arbeloa dismissed reports suggesting he could work under Mourinho if the Portuguese coach returns to the Santiago Bernabéu.
“Mou has a fantastic technical team and if he comes to Madrid, he will come with his own people,” Arbeloa said.
“There’s no chance I’ll be part of that staff. From Monday, I’ll begin thinking about my future.”
Read Also:
- Fernandes equals EPL record as Man United edge Nottingham Forest in 5 goal thriller
- Manchester City beat Chelsea 1-0 to clinch FA Cup
- NFF releases President Federation Cup Round of 64 fixtures
The 43-year-old, who spent seven years as a player at Real Madrid between 2009 and 2016, said he still hopes to return to the club someday despite stepping aside now.
“I hope this is not goodbye forever. Madrid has always been my home and I’ve spent 20 years here in different capacities,” he added.
Meanwhile, Mourinho’s anticipated appointment could face delays as club President Florentino Perez prepares for a possible election battle after reports that businessman Enrique Riquelme may challenge his leadership.



