Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has vowed that all buildings erected on water channels across Abuja, will be demolished, insisting that no individual, regardless of status or political influence, will be spared in the ongoing enforcement exercise.
Wike made the declaration on Tuesday, in response to recent flooding incidents in parts of the capital, warning that the government would move immediately to clear all illegal structures obstructing natural drainage paths.
“We are in a climate change era. The kind of rains we have experienced, or we are experiencing now, we have not experienced before. But that is not to say there are no man-made factors,” he said.
The minister stressed that the demolition drive would proceed without exception, including properties linked to highly placed Nigerians and serving public officials.
He also expressed concern over what he described as the improper conversion of green areas into recreational parks, saying such actions amount to another form of land abuse separate from illegal construction on water channels.
Wike noted that some of the affected lands were tied to long-standing informal claims, but insisted that past irregularities would not be used to justify continued violations.
“Because something was done wrongly many years ago, and then it will not be corrected? No, we will not allow that. We won’t,” he said.
The minister highlighted what he described as progress in land administration under his leadership, stating that 26,000 Certificates of Occupancy (C of Os) had been issued in the past three years—significantly higher than the 7,000 issued over 13 years by previous administrations.
He accused critics of politicising the flooding issue rather than acknowledging reforms in land documentation and business facilitation.
Read also:
- Cross River PDP Crisis: Turaki Faction Claims Authenticity, Warns Wike Camp Against Violence
- NSC Creates Budget Line For Traditional Sports As Federation Holds Championship In Abuja
- NUJ Backs Community Policing, Seeks Holistic Action Against ‘One-Chance’ Menace In Abuja
“The moment they saw the figures in terms of certificates of occupancy to ease businesses came out, instead of them to commend the administration, they used the issue of flood to begin to play politics,” he said.
Wike, however, commended residents who raised genuine concerns about flooding, distinguishing them from those he accused of exploiting the situation for political purposes.
“I appreciate those Nigerians who meant well by calling us to say, look, you may not have seen this. See what has happened. Not those who will just circulate videos and say, ‘Wike has destroyed Abuja,’” he said.
He maintained that the ongoing demolitions were not politically motivated and would continue despite criticism.
“I never created any flood. So, I hope now that we have started to demolish, you won’t cry to say it is against a political opponent,” he added.



