United States President Donald Trump has reaffirmed that preventing Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon remains his administration’s top priority, amid renewed tensions between Washington and Tehran.
Trump made the declaration on Monday, as a 60-day deadline linked to an Islamabad memorandum of understanding expired, with the United States and Iran still divided over key issues surrounding Tehran’s nuclear programme and sanctions.
Trump’s position appeared to contrast with comments by Vice President JD Vance last week that reducing fuel prices for Americans was the administration’s foremost concern, while preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon ranked second.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei separately said the 60-day negotiation window was no longer relevant, accusing Washington of violating the understanding and making talks impossible.
On the Strait of Hormuz, Tehran said it had reached an agreement with Oman on a navigation map for the strategic waterway, although the final text was still being drafted.
Read Also:
- UK Prime Minister Burnham Duped In Impersonation Scam Involving Trump’s Chief Of Staff
- Trump Announces Plans To Reduce US-South Korea Military Drills Over Iran Dispute
- Strait Of Hormuz Will Soon Become US Territory – Trump
Iran has maintained that the strait will not fully reopen until Washington lifts its naval blockade and sanctions, withdraws forces from the region, pays reparations and releases frozen Iranian assets.
The situation was further complicated on Monday after two drones launched from Iranian territory struck the office of the Kurdistan Regional Government’s prime minister in northern Iraq, according to the region’s security agency.
The developments come as diplomatic contacts involving Omani and Pakistani intermediaries continue, with the dispute over Iran’s nuclear ambitions remaining at the centre of the confrontation.



