School mgt, family bicker over sudden death of college student in A’ Ibom

By Isaac Job, Uyo

The sudden death of a final year student Edima Ini Umoh of Full Life secondary school along Airport road, owned by Full Life Christian Centre Uyo, Akwa Ibom state, who died in the school dormitory while sleeping, has pitched the school management and the deceased family against each other.

The incident which occurred last week Thursday has thrown both the school management and the family of the deceased into endless mourning as all parties were shocked over the mysterious death of her brightest student, who was writing the ongoing WAEC examination before she was snatched by cool hands of death.

Narrating the incident to newsmen who visited the school on Wednesday, the Principal and pastor Mrs AniefonteAbasi Victor-Williams, described the death of Edima as mysterious which happened within a twinkle of an eye.

Continuing, the principal said the deceased was healthy bubbling with life on the fateful day as she wore crossed slippers mingling with friends after school.

“We are fully aware of the demise of our student Edima Ini Umoh, she was in SS3, currently writing her final exams, she was in this school from creche’, and was the only pioneer student remaining to graduate before the sad event took place.

“From a family of five children and all her elderly ones passed through this school, she was the last child of her parents. Everything happened quickly because, by the time I was called, I was already ministering in my husband’s church as I’m also a pastor and had left the school.

“Shortly before we left school, she was with crossed slippers, she was healthy, and we even sent her to call another student from the hostel that afternoon.”

However, the principal said the deceased had earlier complained of a headache and the school nurse administered Paracetamol during lunchtime at exactly 2:30pm, and after taking her, lunch the deceased was normal.

“We were told that she earlier complain of a headache and the nurse gave her Paracetamol, during lunchtime, 2:30pm, and she was fine. She went to eat and even had some more because here, we run a very homely facility. If a child is not satisfied, they have the right to get more meals.

Williams disclosed that when she left the school, the deceased complained of headaches again which compelled the school nurse to give the “Coartem” malaria drug but she turned it down, insisting that they should call her mother to bring “Amatem” malaria tablet, being her regular drug for malaria treatment.

Read Also:

She said the matron obliged and the deceased spoke with the mum using the matron’s phone as she asked her to bring pepper soup and her drug but the mother delayed for three hours before she showed up at the school.

The principal said while waiting for the mother to arrive at the school, the deceased pleaded that they allow her to sleep and she died in her sleep.

“The hostel parents came back to check those on Prep if they were reading, this was when she saw a white substance mixed with blood coming out from Edima’s nose, that was when she raised alarm and there was panic everywhere.

“By the time they carried her out of the bed, she had messed herself up. They clean her up and the Nurse tried resuscitating her until the Doctor from Premier Clinic arrived. My Boss and every other school leader were called and they all ran down to the school immediately, I met them at the Premier Clinic where the girl was on oxygen, and we prayed, hoping she will respond” she said.

Meanwhile, the family of the deceased have demanded an autopsy to ascertain the cause of death of the teenage girl.

In a letter titled “Demand For Full Disclosure Of Events Leading To Unnecessary And Unfortunate Death Of Miss Edima Ini Umoh” from Nemo Judex Chambers signed by Edikan Lawrence (Esq) addressed to The Proprietor Full Life Academy and made available to newsmen in Uyo, the family demanded a detailed account of events culminating to the death of their daughter in the school premises.

A copy of the letter which was served to the state Commissioner for Education, Akwa State Commissioner of Police stated that action will be taken against the school if there is no response within the expected period.

The letter reads in parts :

“The saddest part of the entire story is that up 18 this moment, the school has not been able to give a full and detailed account of what transpired within your school campus that culminated into such a regrettable, untimely painful and unfortunate loss of an exceptionally bright, lively and intelligent girl of 15 years old in your custody and care who died of “unnatural causes”

The family also warned that if the school will not furnish them with relevant information, they will seek redress in court.

“TAKE NOTICE that where you refuse to act in terms of this demand within the time stated above, we have our client’s instruction to resort to other legal measures to ensure that justice; is not only done but, seen to be done in this case and I will be without further recourse to you.” the family threatened.

Follow The Trumpet on all our social media platforms for more updates:

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
A note to our visitors

This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.