Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine, the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) has confirmed.
Kyrgios provided a sample during the Mallorca Open on June 22, which was later found to contain benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine. His provisional suspension took effect on August 4.
The 31-year-old has the right to appeal the suspension but, according to the ITIA, had not done so as of the latest update.
Kyrgios acknowledged the positive test in a statement on Instagram, describing his action as a “huge mistake” and accepting full responsibility.
Under the provisional suspension, he is barred from playing, coaching at or attending Grand Slam tournaments and other events sanctioned by the men’s and women’s professional tennis tours pending the outcome of the case.
Kyrgios could face a ban of up to four years. However, if he establishes that the cocaine was taken outside competition, the maximum sanction could be reduced to three months.
Read Also:
- Newcastle Complete £30m Signing Of Benfica Defender Amar Dedic
- Kida Commends Junior D’Tigress For FIBA U-19 World Cup Qualification
- NFF Sacks Super Falcons Technical Crew After World Cup Qualification Failure
The Australian has struggled with injuries in recent years and has played only four singles matches in 2026. His most recent appearance came in the Wimbledon men’s doubles, where he partnered Alexander Bublik and suffered a first-round defeat.
In his statement, Kyrgios said his prolonged battle with injuries had taken a significant toll on him mentally and physically, adding that accepting he could be nearing the end of his career had been difficult.
He apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and particularly young supporters who look up to him.
Cocaine is classified by the World Anti-Doping Agency as a stimulant and substance of abuse. Reduced sanctions may apply when an athlete tests positive for the substance outside competition.
However, Kyrgios’s sample was collected during the Mallorca Open, where he competed in singles before losing in the opening round to Adam Walton.
Kyrgios has enjoyed a successful but controversial career, winning seven ATP singles titles and reaching the Wimbledon final in 2022, where he lost to Novak Djokovic. He also won the 2022 Australian Open men’s doubles title alongside compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis.
The former world number 13 has frequently attracted controversy for his conduct on court, including arguments with officials and several fines for incidents involving racquet abuse and audible obscenities.
He has also previously spoken publicly about his mental health struggles and the challenges he has faced during his career.
Kyrgios said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on his wellbeing while the matter is addressed.



