Defence & Security

Military set to prosecute over 860 arrested Boko Haram members

By Abdullahi Zubeidah

The Nigerian Military plans to prosecute over 860 arrested Boko Haram members. The Trumpet gathered that the Theatre Commander, North-East Joint Operation, HADIN KAI, Major General Christopher Musa, disclosed this on Tuesday in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Musa, who was represented by the Acting Theater Intelligence Coordinator, Colonel Obinna Azuike, briefed journalists on the successes recorded so far in the ongoing fight against insurgency in the North East.

He said plans are in top gear to transfer the arrested Boko Haram terrorists to Giwa Project at Kainji in Niger State, for prosecution.

The Acting Theater Intelligence Coordinator revealed that a total of 1,893, terrorists are in custody at the Centre for Prosecution.

Azuike also disclosed that another 323 terrorists, who willingly surrendered to embrace peace, were undergoing De-Radicalization, Demobilization and Rehabilitation (DDR) programme in Gombe State.

He also revealed that over 82,237 terrorists and their family members have so far surrendered to troops in various locations in the North East since July 2021.
The military official said out of the surrendered persons, 16,577 were active male fighters, 24,499 are women, and 41,161 are children.

He said, “Information obtained from detailed debriefings of the surrendered terrorists are being continually factored into the operations of the theatre. Such debriefings are routinely undertaken as more fighters continue to surrender in their numbers.

Read Also: Ohanaeze accuses south-East governors of masterminding Killings

“Also, the commencement of a comprehensive Disarmament, De-radicalization, Rehabilitation and Reintegration programme by the Borno State government, in conjunction with International Organizations and Op Safe Corridor, will positively encourage the surrender of more persons and will be a catalyst to the ongoing peace process.”
Azuike said a total of 180 out of the 276 kidnapped Chibok school girls in 2014, have so far been rescued while 96 of the girls Are still in Boko Haram custody.

He added that the Nigerian Military has so far rescued 2,018 abducted persons, which includes 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children in the last year.

He said: “The statistics of the 276 abducted Chibok School girls indicate that 57 girls escaped in 2014, 107 girls were released in 2018; three recovered in 2019; two recovered in 2021 and 11 girls rescued so far in 2022.

“This brings a total of 180 Chibok girls out of captivity, remaining 96 girls still unaccounted for. At present, over 2,018 persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children have been rescued from terrorists’ captivity within the year.

”The Theatre Command OPHK will continue in its quest to rescue other persons held in captivity.”

Follow The Trumpet on all our social media platforms for more updates:

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button