The Department of State Services has fixed February 25 to arraign former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai before the Federal High Court in Abuja over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik will preside over the matter after the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, John Tsoho, assigned the case to her.
The DSS filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai, accusing him of unlawfully intercepting the telephone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu. The charge, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, alleges violations of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
According to the prosecution, El-Rufai admitted during a February 13 appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja that he and others intercepted the NSA’s phone communications. The alleged conduct is said to be punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes Amendment Act, 2024.
In the second count, the DSS alleged that the former governor acknowledged knowing an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s communications but failed to report the offence to security agencies. The charge is linked to Section 27(b) of the same Act.
The third count accuses El-Rufai and others still at large of using technical equipment or systems in Abuja in 2026 to compromise public safety and national security by intercepting the NSA’s communications. The DSS said the alleged action created apprehension among Nigerians and is punishable under Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.
During the live television interview, El-Rufai claimed he overheard Ribadu directing security operatives to detain him. He linked the alleged directive to an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on February 12 after returning from Cairo, Egypt.
Read also:
- ICPC confirms El-Rufai in custody after EFCC release as corruption probes continue
- DSS takes El-Rufai into custody after EFCC interrogation over separate security matter
- Wiretapping Allegations, Cybercrime Charges and National Security: Inside the El-Rufai–Ribadu Saga
The arraignment comes amid separate legal challenges facing the former governor. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had earlier detained him over alleged corruption. Although he was granted administrative bail on Wednesday evening, he was subsequently taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission in connection with ongoing investigations.
Confirming the development, ICPC spokesperson John Odey stated that El-Rufai remains in the commission’s custody as investigations continue.
The case is expected to test the application of Nigeria’s amended cybercrime laws, particularly provisions relating to unlawful interception of communications and national security breaches. Legal observers say the February 25 arraignment will draw significant public and political attention.



