• Advert Rates
  • Careers
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Digital Store
Friday, August 21, 2026
The Trumpet Newspaper Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Headlines
    • Metro
    • Health
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Ecommerce
    • Economy
    • Start-up
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Religion
    • Columnists
    • Contributors
    • Editorial
  • Global
    • Climate
    • Culture
    • Tourism
    • Technology
    • Weather
    • Social Media
  • e-Edition
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Headlines
    • Metro
    • Health
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Ecommerce
    • Economy
    • Start-up
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Religion
    • Columnists
    • Contributors
    • Editorial
  • Global
    • Climate
    • Culture
    • Tourism
    • Technology
    • Weather
    • Social Media
  • e-Edition
No Result
View All Result
The Trumpet Newspaper Nigeria
No Result
View All Result
ADVERTISEMENT
Home News

Court orders arrest of ex-minister, permanent secretary over alleged $1.3m, N746.6m fraud

Nicholas Ojo by Nicholas Ojo
April 16, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
Court orders arrest of ex-ninister, permanent secretary over alleged $1.3m, N746.6m fraud
0
SHARES
9
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare on WhatsAppShare on Pinterest

A Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Abuja on Thursday, issued a bench warrant for the arrest of former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, and a Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Bashir Nura Alkali, over alleged fraud.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie gave the order following the failure of the duo to appear for their scheduled arraignment.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting Farouq, Alkali and a third defendant, Sani Nafiu Mohammed, on a 21-count charge bordering on criminal breach of trust, abuse of office, fraudulent contract awards and alleged diversion of public funds totalling $1.3 million and N746.6 million.

At Thursday’s proceedings, only Mohammed was present in court.

Prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), told the court that although the charge was filed on December 15, 2025, the first and second defendants had been difficult to produce.

He said their counsel had earlier undertaken to present them in court but failed to do so.

Read Also:

  • Court rejects key defence document in NCDMB $35m fraud case
  • Supreme Court fixes April 22 to hear ADC leadership crisis appeal
  • 2 men in court for demanding‘deve’ from property developer in Warri

Jacobs further informed the court that Farouq had previously written to the EFCC, indicating she was travelling to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment in 2024, upon which her passport was released.

According to him, she has yet to return the passport or provide any medical report to justify her continued absence.

He also challenged documents recently filed by her counsel, noting that the attached medical reports were dated after the charge had already been instituted.

Counsel to the first defendant, Abdul Ibrahim (SAN), attributed her absence to ill- health and urged the court to accept an affidavit to that effect, a request the court declined.

The prosecution also sought leave to amend an earlier ex-parte motion to focus on the first and second defendants and prayed the court to issue a warrant for their arrest.

Jacobs argued that the defendants had been granted administrative bail but failed to report back, despite being duly served with the charges.

He said a warrant of arrest had become necessary to compel their appearance. Defence counsel, however, pleaded for six weeks to produce the former minister in court.

In his ruling, Justice Onwuegbuzie granted the EFCC’s application and ordered the arrest of Farouq and Alkali.

The case was adjourned till May 18, 2026, for arraignment and trial.

Previous Post

New Flamingos coach describes his appointment as “a great honour”

Next Post

Police deploy officers, monitor JAMB CBT centres in FCT

Nicholas Ojo

Nicholas Ojo

Next Post
Police deploy officers, monitor JAMB CBT centres in FCT

Police deploy officers, monitor JAMB CBT centres in FCT

About The Trumpet

The Trumpet is a Nigerian based national news media, owned, trademarked and operated by Elomaz Communications Limited with headquarters in FCT-Abuja and regional offices in Lagos and Delta States

Follow Us

Resources

  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Headlines
    • Metro
    • Health
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Ecommerce
    • Economy
    • Start-up
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Religion
    • Columnists
    • Contributors
    • Editorial
  • Global
    • Climate
    • Culture
    • Tourism
    • Technology
    • Weather
    • Social Media
  • e-Edition

Recent News

Nigeria Beats Morocco, Secures African Beach Volleyball Semifinals Ticket

Nigeria Beats Morocco, Secures African Beach Volleyball Semifinals Ticket

August 21, 2026
Nigeria Beats Morocco, Secures African Beach Volleyball Semifinals Ticket By Paul Joseph Nigeria’s women’s beach volleyball team have secured a place in the semifinals of the 2026 African Beach Volleyball Championship after edging Morocco 2-1 in a thrilling quarterfinal clash at Abu Heif Beach in Alexandria, Egypt. The Nigerian pair started strongly, taking the opening set 21-17 before Morocco fought back in the second set, winning 21-15 to level the contest and force a decisive third set. Nigeria held their nerve when it mattered most, winning the deciding set 15-11 to complete a 2-1 victory and book their place among the final four teams. The Friday's victory keeps Nigeria’s hopes of winning continental honours alive as the remaining quarterfinal matches determine the other semifinalists. The championship is scheduled to continue until August 22 under the patronage of Alexandria Governor, Engineer Ayman Atiya, in coordination with the Egyptian Volleyball Federation. Aida Ismail chairs the Supreme Organising Committee, while African Volleyball Confederation (CAVB) President Bouchra Hajij has been following the competition from the courts, monitoring both the matches and organisational arrangements. The championship carries additional significance as it doubles as a qualifier for the Los Angeles 2028 Olympic Games. The winners of both the men’s and women’s competitions will earn direct qualification for the 2028 Olympic Games, increasing the stakes for the teams still competing in Alexandria. Nigeria’s victory over Morocco therefore represents an important step in the country’s quest not only for continental success but also for a place at the next Olympic Games. With the semifinal stage now secured, Nigeria will be looking to maintain its momentum and push for a place in the championship final. Meanwhile, Nigeria has unveiled its final 12-player squad for the 2026 CAVB Women’s African Nations Volleyball Championship, scheduled to take place in Kenya from August 23 to September 5. Captain Ijeoma Ukpabi headlines the squad as Nigeria prepares to renew its challenge for continental honours against some of Africa’s leading women’s volleyball teams. Ukpabi will be joined among the outside hitters by Maryam Ibrahim, Deborah Chukwu and Mmesoma Okekearu, while Deborah Sunday, Ganiyat Lateef and Aisha Bello have been selected as middle blockers. Kelechi Ndukauba and Christiana Paul will provide options in the opposite hitter position, with Aisha Umaru and Enewa Odoh named as setters. Jummai Bitrus completes the playing squad as Nigeria’s libero. The team will be coached by Elishama Elam, assisted by Olusegun Abinde, while Sunday Akapson will serve as setters trainer. The Nigerian side will be hoping its blend of experienced players and emerging talents can produce a strong campaign in Kenya and put the country firmly in contention for the African title. The Nations Championship will run from August 23 to September 5 and will bring together the continent’s leading women’s volleyball teams in a battle for supremacy.

FIFA Sanctions Argentina Over World Cup Final Clash, Suspends 2 Players

August 21, 2026
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact us
  • About Us
  • Cookie Policy
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact us
  • About Us

© 2025 The Trumpet News Papers - Developed by VIS Nigeria.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Breaking News
    • Headlines
    • Metro
    • Health
  • Politics
  • Business
    • Ecommerce
    • Economy
    • Start-up
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Opinion
    • Religion
    • Columnists
    • Contributors
    • Editorial
  • Global
    • Climate
    • Culture
    • Tourism
    • Technology
    • Weather
    • Social Media
  • e-Edition

© 2025 The Trumpet News Papers - Developed by VIS Nigeria.

We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. By clicking “Accept All”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent.
Cookie SettingsAccept All
Manage consent

Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience.
Necessary
Always Enabled
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously.
CookieDurationDescription
cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".
cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional11 monthsThe cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".
cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".
cookielawinfo-checkbox-others11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.
cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance11 monthsThis cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".
viewed_cookie_policy11 monthsThe cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. It does not store any personal data.
Functional
Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features.
Performance
Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.
Analytics
Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
Advertisement
Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
Others
Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet.
SAVE & ACCEPT