Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni faces a 10-game suspension if UEFA’s ethics and disciplinary inspector finds evidence of racism claims made against him by Real Madrid striker Vinicius Junior.
This mandatory punishment was introduced in 2013 by Gianni Infantino when he was UEFA general secretary.
UEFA, who organise the Champions League, has announced they have opened an official investigation into claims that Vinicius was racially abused during the match against Benfica.
“A UEFA ethics and disciplinary inspector has been appointed to investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour during the UEFA Champions League 2025/2026 knock-out play-off between Club Benfica and Real Madrid on February 17, 2026,” the body said.
The match was halted for 10 minutes after Vinicius reported alleged racist abuse.
Read Also:
- Gusau calls for integrity as referees receive FIFA badges in Abuja
- Finalists of the 2026 President Beach Volleyball Tournament in Kaduna emerge
- Ikpokpo insists on strict athlete eligibility, local talent for 2nd Niger Delta Games
A Real Madrid statement said Vinicius told the referee he had been racially abused by Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni.
Prestianni denied the claims in an Instagram statement following the match, while manager Jose Mourinho pointed to the club’s legendary striker Eusebio as proof that Benfica is not a racist club.
Benfica themselves wrote a 21-word statement on X, disregarding the allegations.
“Racists are above all cowards,” said Vinicius in an Instagram statement.
Meanwhile, former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has come under fire for his comments suggesting Vinicius made the situation “difficult” for the referee.



