Suspected hoodlums on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after his visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The attack reportedly triggered an exchange of gunfire between the suspected assailants and the governor’s security personnel, with the shooting said to have lasted between 12 and 15 minutes.
Adeleke had arrived at the palace around 3:15pm Wednesday in a convoy of about 20 vehicles after receiving his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo following his re-election.
An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, to whom Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return.
According to the eyewitness, trouble began shortly after the meeting ended and the monarch had offered prayers.
She said Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when gunshots suddenly rang out.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she said.
Read also:
- Fayose Accuses INEC Of PVC Manipulation, Claims Uncollected Cards Were Exploited In Ekiti Election
- Ekiti Election 2026: INEC Records Over 1.05 Million Registered Voters as PVC Collection Reaches 97.1%
- INEC Declares Biodun Oyebanji Winner Of Ekiti Governorship Election
A trader operating near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, said the attackers may have known about the governor’s visit and waited for his arrival.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back,” she said.
Munirat added that the incident forced traders and residents in the area to abandon their businesses and seek safety.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road,” she added.
The shooting caused panic around the area, with several business owners reportedly shutting their shops as residents fled to safety.
Confirming the incident, Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
As of 4:45pm, when newsmen left the area, sporadic gunshots were reportedly still being heard around the vicinity, while several shops remained closed amid heightened tension.



