Academic activities were disrupted across Ogbomoso Town in Oyo State on Monday, as teachers staged a peaceful protest over the abduction of students and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.
The protesting teachers reportedly shut down classrooms and marched to the office of the Oyo State Teaching Service Commission in Ogbomoso, carrying placards and demanding urgent government intervention to secure the release of victims still being held captive.
Key Highlights:
- Teachers in Ogbomoso, Oyo State, staged a peaceful protest over the abduction of teachers and pupils in Oriire Local Government Area.
- The protesters demanded urgent government action and improved security around schools to protect students and education workers.
- Seyi Makinde confirmed that seven teachers and several pupils were abducted during the attack.
- The governor also revealed that one abducted teacher was killed by the kidnappers, while some rescue operatives were injured during operations.
- Makinde assured residents that security efforts had been intensified to rescue the remaining victims and support injured personnel.
The demonstration followed widespread concern over the recent kidnapping incident, which has heightened anxiety among residents, parents, and education stakeholders across the state.
The teachers also called for improved security around schools and safer learning environments for students and education workers.
Meanwhile, Governor Seyi Makinde has confirmed that one of the abducted teachers has been killed by the kidnappers.
Speaking after a security meeting on Sunday, the governor disclosed that seven teachers and an unspecified number of pupils were abducted during the attack.
“What we know right now is that seven teachers were abducted.
Read Also:
- Police refute reports of mass church abductions in Kaduna
- Soldiers foil robbery attempt on Abuja–Kaduna Expressway
- Police foil kidnap attempt, arrest 3 suspects, rescue 76 children in Kaduna
“Unfortunately, we received a video this morning indicating that one of the teachers, understood to be the Mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists. Our prayers are with the family,” Gov. Makinde said.
The governor expressed condolences to the family of the deceased teacher and also sympathised with members of the rescue team, including soldiers, operatives of the Amotekun Corps, and local vigilantes who reportedly encountered Improvised Explosive Devices during rescue operations.
According to him, some security personnel sustained injuries during the operation but were responding positively to treatment.
Gov. Makinde assured that the state government would cover the medical expenses of the injured operatives.
“We just finished a review of the security situation in the local government area where the abduction of some teachers and schoolchildren took place,” he said.
He added that the government had intensified efforts to rescue the remaining victims, noting that both security operations and non-violent strategies were being employed to secure their release.
The governor also appealed for calm among residents, religious leaders, and community stakeholders, assuring that the government remained committed to ensuring the safe return of those still in captivity.



