A chieftain of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Usman Austin, has asked the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC) to either charge former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, to court or release him immediately.
In a statement on Saturday, Austin expressed concern over El-Rufai’s continued detention. He said anti corruption agencies must follow due process and respect the rule of law.
Austin praised the approach of the Department of State Services (DSS), saying the agency recently chose to seek the court’s approval in handling similar matters instead of keeping suspects in detention without trial.
According to him, if there are allegations against El-Rufai, they should be tested in court through proper legal arguments from both the prosecution and the defence.
He stressed that democracy demands that suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty.
He also pointed out that El-Rufai had earlier honoured an invitation from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC )and described him as cooperative with investigators.
Austin questioned the circumstances surrounding the former governor’s custody.
He asked whether El-Rufai was officially handed over to the ICPC after his release from the EFCC or re arrested after being granted administrative bail.
He said the lack of clarity weakens public trust in the system.
Read also:
- FAAN explains detention of man for filming at MMIA, Lagos
- INEC chairman expresses satisfaction over conduct of FCT area council elections
- Bauchi approves major infrastructure, health, other projects
He warned that arresting a person before concluding investigations could amount to abuse of the right to fair hearing.
He urged anti graft agencies not to allow themselves to be used in ways that could harm Nigeria’s democracy.
El-Rufai was taken into custody by ICPC operatives shortly after he was released by the EFCC.
The ICPC later confirmed that the former governor remains in its custody over an ongoing investigation.
The anti-corruption agency, in a statement signed by its Head of media and public communications, said El-Rufai was still with the commission as of the close of work on February 18, 2026.



