The Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos, has awarded N30 million in damages to former presidential candidate and human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, after ruling that the Nigeria Police Force acted illegally by declaring him “wanted” in October 2025.
Delivering judgment on Friday, Justice Musa Kaakaki held that the actions of CP Moshood Jimoh of the Lagos State Police Command violated Sowore’s fundamental rights and were unlawful.
Reacting to the ruling, Sowore described it as a major setback for police impunity and abuse of authority. “While the illegal IGP Kayode Egbetokun was busy moving between courts to secure ex parte orders to cover police illegalities, Justice Musa Kaakaki delivered a resounding blow this morning to their tyranny,” Sowore said on social media.
The activist emphasized that the court did not hold back in condemning CP Moshood Jimoh. “In a stinging and unequivocal rebuke, the court condemned CP Bozo Moshood Jimoh for unlawfully declaring me WANTED last October and awarded ₦30 million in damages against the Nigeria Police Force,” he said.
Sowore added that the judgment serves as a warning to public officials who misuse their positions of authority. “The ruling was clear, firm, and excruciatingly loud in its message: abuse of power has consequences,” he noted.
The controversial declaration had drawn strong criticism from civil society groups and human rights advocates, many of whom described it as politically motivated and a misuse of police power against a government critic.
Read also:
- Sowore blasts Akpabio, Oshiomhole, demands mobile voting to end Nigeria’s election fraud
- Sowore exposes Tinubu calling Obasanjo, Jonathan unprintable names in explosive video in court
- Federal Government amends cybercrime charges against Omoyele Sowore
Friday’s judgment represents a significant legal victory for Sowore, who has long faced confrontations with security agencies over his activism and criticisms of government officials. He also commended his legal team, particularly Barrister Tope Temokun, for steadfast representation. “Barrister Tope Temokun anchored the case with diligence, courage, and precision. Justice prevailed, at least today,” Sowore said.
Previously, on November 14, 2025, SaharaReporters reported that the Federal High Court had warned CP Moshood for publicly boasting that Sowore “remains wanted” despite an existing court order prohibiting such statements. The case, filed under the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules, required the police to submit their defence within five days before the court heard the matter on its merits.



