A fresh fire outbreak has struck Singer Market in Kano, destroying warehouses and shops worth millions of naira and worsening losses recorded from a similar incident at the same commercial hub just days earlier.
The latest Singer Market Kano fire erupted on Saturday afternoon, sending thick black smoke across large parts of the city and triggering panic among traders and nearby residents. Many shop owners were still counting the cost of last week’s blaze when the new inferno broke out.
Singer Market, one of the largest distribution centres for sugar, flour and bottled drinks in northern Nigeria, was quickly overwhelmed as flames reportedly began in a single shop before spreading through tightly packed structures filled with highly combustible goods. Witnesses said the close arrangement of stalls and shared roofing accelerated the spread.
“We just saw smoke coming from the roof. Before we could bring water, the wind pushed the fire to the next shop and everything got out of control,” said Malam Sani, a trader who managed to salvage only part of his goods.
Officials of the Kano State Fire Service battled the blaze for several hours but struggled to access parts of the market because of narrow passageways and congested rows of stalls. Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were deployed to prevent looting and maintain order as anxious traders tried to save what they could.
Read Also:
- FCT minister sympathises with Singer Market fire victims in Kano
- Shettima leads FG’s delegation to Kano, after devastating inferno at Singer Market
- Gov. Yusuf donates N100m to Singer Market Fire victims, approves N3bn road expansion
As of press time, no fatalities had been confirmed, though several people were said to have suffered minor injuries and smoke inhalation while attempting to rescue merchandise. Authorities indicated that the economic impact of the latest Singer Market Kano fire could exceed that of the previous incident, given the number of warehouses stocked with food items and household goods that were consumed before the flames were brought under control.
Preliminary findings point to a possible electrical fault, but officials stressed that a full investigation will begin after cooling operations are completed. A spokesperson for the fire service said the immediate focus remains on damping down the site to prevent hidden embers from reigniting.
The Kano State Government is expected to visit the market to assess the scale of destruction and sympathise with affected traders. The second major fire in weeks has renewed concerns about fire safety standards, electrical compliance and emergency access routes in major commercial centres across Kano.
For many traders at Singer Market, the back to back outbreaks represent not only financial ruin but a setback to supply chains that serve much of northern Nigeria. The coming days will determine the full cost of the disaster and whether new safety measures will follow in its wake.



